LET THEM EAT CAKE

Cakes are tricky – not sure I want to spend £250 on a bit of sponge (I can see how some of them cost that much as there’s a lot of time and effort that goes into them but at the end of the day it’s a CAKE.  Which not many people will eat, unless you use it as part of the dessert). 

We are also fussy eaters because my fiancé hates fruit cake and I hate icing.  So when it was suggested that we needed a 2 tier wedding cake, the little voice in my head was saying “But why?!”  So the jury is still out on that one as we ponder what to do.  Even supermarket wedding cakes can cost £200 and they generally tend to be the yukky fruit/icing combo. 
sponge cake from Waitrose - gorgeous but £280
I’m liking the possiblilty of a homemade style cake table with all sorts of various nice cakes on nice cake stands – something for everyone perhaps so it does get eaten.  And if it doesn’t, then we won’t have spent an absolute fortune.  My fiancé is undecided as he’s more traditional than me!  


We considered cupcakes, but you know what?  They look nice but just don't hit the spot taste wise.  Another option was using whoopie pies!  Apparently they're the next craze in America and I can see why as they taste totally gorgeous (even if they are lacking in the looks department!)
 
tasty whoopie pies
Something else which might be a bit different is a tower of donuts but I'm not sure they're special enough to have as a wedding cake.
they do look cute though...
Profiteroles make a fantastic pudding - especially with cream and chocolate sauce, but again, I'm not sure they would do as a 'wedding cake'.

These look very decadent (but expensive!)
I’m sure between us, we’ll come up with something different but if anyone has alternative ideas then they would be greatly received – carolsouthern@yahoo.com